Sunday, July 5, 2009

Roddick Reflects After Loss

Q. Did you just lose to the world's greatest tennis player ever?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Can you talk about when you were sitting in the chair and the crowd was chanting your name, what did that mean to you?

ANDY RODDICK: That was nice. You know, it showed that they appreciated I guess what we did out there today. You know, it was definitely a nice and appreciated gesture by them.

Q. How would you describe what you did today?

ANDY RODDICK: I lost.

Q. When do you expect you'll start feeling better and feeling sort of happy with how you performed and the occasion as opposed to the disappointment now?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I'm not a psychic. I'm a tennis player.

Q. What do you take most satisfaction from in what you did accomplish, even in defeat today?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, you know, I took some satisfaction in December and in November when we started to move forward. It was to give yourself an opportunity to win tournaments like this. I feel like, you know, I did give myself that opportunity today.

It didn't work out, but, you know, I definitely gave myself a look.

Q. Roger is such a tough opponent. What qualities make him so outstanding?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I mean, I don't know where to start there. You know, he just makes it real tough. You know, he was having trouble picking up my serve today for the first time ever. He just stayed the course.

You know, you didn't even get a sense that he was even really frustrated by it. He kind of stayed the course and just toughed it out. He gets a lot of credit for a lot of things, but not a lot of the time is how many matches he kind of digs deep and toughs out. He doesn't get a lot of credit for that because it looks easy to him a lot of the times.

But he definitely stuck in there today.

Q. Do you feel like that was the best match you've ever played?

ANDY RODDICK: I played pretty good two days ago. Again, I've been saying all week, I struggle with this, you know, comparisons of one match to another.

You know, I don't know. I was happy with the way I played. I thought I played real well.

Q. A lot of people thought this was going to be about your big serve, Roger's getting around the court, his ability to hit passing shots. Clearly that wasn't really the theme there when you look at how well you played from the baseline and how well he served, did that surprise you at all?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, I don't know. You know, he served great. I didn't get a lot of looks at seconds. I felt like when we were in rallies for the last couple sets, I was actually doing all right and holding my own, if not more.

You know, but he just served great. He did what he had to. If he wouldn't have served as well, I'd probably be sitting here in a better mood.

Q. Liberate this man. Well done, Andy.

ANDY RODDICK: Thank you.

picture and content courtesy of wimbledon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment